Pappettan helps to enroll in a gym


I am in Bengaluru now. In an era, almost unheard by the millennials and practically forgotten by the Generation X, this move was known as B2B. Back to Bangalore. Bengaluru has changed. One look at the traffic in the service roads, you wonder how we are only second in population! The vehicles spill into the service roads when the main roads cannot handle it.  Whereas the people are always complaining about the traffic, entrepreneurs have found opportunities in these challenges. And if I start writing about how smart men are making money out of daily woes, then this post will not be about Pappettan. Hence I forcing myself to stop and stick to the topic.

Where were we? B2B. I am still in no man's land. I haven't spent enough time in India to start boring the people around by saying "You know? When I was in the UK..." stories. The move to India was a good enough reason for me to be careless. As a result, I have been consuming food. I find it disturbing that everyone around me sees this phenomenon as alarming. After all, a man has to eat to survive. It may have been my guilt or jealousy in the eyes of the beholder, I decided to shop around for gyms in my area.

My requirements were clear. The gym should have popular exercise machines. I can do away with 24-hour gyms, but it should be open sufficiently early and closes late. I have never made friends in a gym, so quieter the better. When you search for gyms, then you will find that fitness is a good business in Bengaluru. The plethora of options leaves you confused. For once in my life, I knew what I wanted. Hence I was able to find a gym nearby. Once I zeroed in the gym, the next step was to sign up. There was no online option for signing up. So I walked into the gym with Pappettan. After the introductions and a primer on the gym, we got down to business.

Me: *bargains hard* The monthly fee is high.

Gym staff: *expertly counters my argument* But look at our facility.

Me: *shoots the next argument* I won't be using all that. I know what I want.

Gym staff: *opens up an alternative option* Then there is an option to sign up for 6 months where your monthly fee comes down.

Me: *takes a step back* That is a lot of commitment from my side.

Gym staff: *slowly advances* It is a good investment for your health.

Me: *remains adamant* It all boils down to what I can afford.

Gym staff: *asks after a brief pause* Do you regularly go to restaurants or pubs?

Me: *surprised and confused* I do.

Gym staff: *explains* For a single trip, you might be spending an amount. *specifies an amount*

Me: *wonders where it is leading to*

Gym staff: *provides solution* You just have to cut going to such places, and you can pay the monthly fees.

Me: *defeated*

At this point, Pappettan decides to step in.

Pappettan:*calmly* It is an exciting proposition.

Gym staff: *smiles victoriously*

Pappettan: *puts forward the counter-proposal* Why don't you cut your restaurant visits and give him a good discount on the monthly fees?

Picture Courtesy: simone

Comments

Post a Comment