Who is "Pappettan"?

Who is "Pappettan"? The answer is "A superhero". Yes, Pappettan is a super hero. Unlike the popular vigilantes in the comics, Pappettan does not wear a mask or a suit. But like the popular vigilantes, he wishes to remain anonymous. So, Pappettan is a pseudonym.When I shook hands for the first time a few weeks back, little did I know my life in Paris was going to be more fun than it already was.

Pappettan can accomplish many wonders. He can make the shopkeeper sell a Halloween mask on the display window to him without even speaking a word of French. He can make a random beautiful girl pout her lips seductively and say "I luvvvv Chicken Masala" in no time. He can say the most politically incorrect statement and still make people blush or laugh. Last but not the least, he also knows when to draw a line. He understands what is fun and what is not; which a lot of us have trouble separating. For me, Pappettan is a symbol; someone who values life and enjoys it to the fullest. He may get hurt but quickly  bounces back dismissing it as a minor inconvenience. He retains the innocence of childhood even after growing up. Anger is not an emotion found in him. 

A few days back while speaking of his passion for photography, he said "I'm documenting my life.When I retire, I can look at these photographs and remember what I accomplished in life. I can also relive those days at a later period in my life". Then he adds, "In a way, you are doing the same with your blog". It is so true. So, here I'm starting a new series named "Papettan says". I am not going to document Pappettan's life. Instead I'm going to share tidbits from conversations which can be shared. The happy moments and jokes comes so fast that I have trouble remembering these later. This "Pappettan" is here in Paris only for a few weeks. But in life, you meet a lot of "Pappettan"s. So I guess, this series will last. In case it doesn't, I can always back and relive these days...



Comments

  1. Sounds to me an interesting character. Waiting for more of pappettan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant idea. Capturing moments are so cliched. But reliving life in tiny bits indeed is like an instant energy boost :)

    Please visit my blog

    Haircules Speaketh

    Love is Two way.

    And vote for them if you find them interesting.

    Keep Blooging:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Harish - :) Pappettan stories coming up soon.

    @Everlost - :) Thank you. Some of it are so Indian in nature. Crossed fingers wishing you will not be lost. :|

    @Ranting Indian - Thank you for dropping by. I will visit your blog to check out the posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your idea of introducing a imaginary characters and the stories around him is superb. Waiting to read the ensuing episodes.
    Best Wishes from
    svsaibaba.blogspot.com English
    svsbaba.blogspot.com Tamil (if u know)

    ReplyDelete
  5. good luck for your Pappettan series. A lot of malayalees are like Pappettan - merry go-around people.

    If you keep your eyes and ears open, you will have a lot to write about in the coming days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Joshi - There are quite a few Pappettans in real life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. By any chance....is this Pappettan the same as Nona (just curious :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Shrijith Nair - Thanks for dropping by. :) I am not Pappettan. Like I mentioned over here, Pappettan is based on many of my friends. But the spirit of Pappettan is very unique. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to meet Pappettan :) A strange name but I like it :)
    He seems to be a wonderful person. And yeah all the best for the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are from Kerala, then you will easily identify with the name. :)

      Thanks

      Delete
  10. No I am from North India and I never heard this name before :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice to know who and what Pappettan means! :) Is it a word in Malyalam?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pappan is a common short name for Padmanabhan ..'Ettan' means brother..

      Delete
  12. Idea duly noted...The typical Malayali Uncle of today ..Thats Pappettan allae?..Wears a Lungi at home, eats beef,loves Mohanlal, proudly bares his hairy chest to one and all.."Loves kerala and everything about it..Wow..!>>
    Watching out for this space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Yes, he is a malayali. Not sure about the hairy chest. Doesn't wear lungi. :) Everything is correct. :)

      Delete
  13. You may be on to something here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment