Parental permission

A week back, I received an email from one of my friends. It was grand plan. Grand plan for a week's vacation in Italy. It sounded like fun. The vacation is affordable. There are many places to cover in 5 days. But... Yes, there is a but. But the vacation is set for June. That is six months away. I am not much a planner. There are a lot of things that can happen in 6 months. Then, I also remembered what another friend of mine remarked, sitting on a chair which looked like a rocking chair and with a look that looks directly into your soul, "Guys, the key to traveling cheap in Europe is to plan ahead". So the email makes a whole lot of sense.

I am glad when my friends behave like a sponge. Learn and assimilate. Isn't that key to survival? That is exactly what my friend did. He learnt and assimilated. Gone are the days of spontaneous unplanned travel. He is looking out for the best deals and planning for the future. I'm glad. There are still people in my friends circle who learners. I said learners and not quick learners for obvious reasons. Now, why am I talking about these travel plans? For a reason. When all of the recipients of this email convened for a dinner, this email was the subject of discussion. The most surprising response to this email came from a girl who was also an adult. I confess I have a condescending way of referring to young people. Don't you think I'm justified thanks because all the decades I have put on the age-meter?

When the rest of us lauded the plan and asked for more time for confirmation, the response of the girl was  interesting. She wanted more time for a different reason. What might that be? She is awaiting her dad's response. It is a long journey and she wanted to know if her parents are okay with this. I'm not sure how you are going to react. For me, it was a moment with multiple emotions. After attaining adulthood, who would wait for permission from parents? Moreover, I have a daughter too. I wonder if she is going to ask me for permission to do something like this after being independent?




-->

Comments

  1. Once you are an adult it is time to stop asking permission.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Although I agree with you, this gesture reminded me of innocence.

      Delete
  2. Hey! Its impossible for one single Nona to train all the girls in the world to be independent... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he he. That is not my purpose. My aim is to think out loud and make you think. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment