How to sign off a heated discussion?

Have you been in meetings which quickly descended into a screaming match? I have been in several of such meetings. One of the things professional life teaches you is not to take things too hard on you. You don't let these things affect you a lot. Recently, I was part of an interesting teleconference and learnt a new technique on how to sign off a heated discussion.

There were two colleagues the teleconference besides me. During the call, the first colleague explained what are the checks and activities needed to be performed. This irked the second colleague . My second colleague thought the majority of checks and activities had already been completed and the first colleague had not prepared well for the meeting. This was how the screaming match started.

After some time, the first colleague declared, "This is not going anywhere. I am logging off the call". My second colleague refused to stop and continued hurling veiled insults. This irritated my first colleague further. Suddenly I heard a beep, signalling exit of my first colleague. I was embarrassed not knowing what to do next when I heard my second colleague saying, "By the way, thanks a lot for joining the call and your inputs".

Tags: Musings,Discussion,Colleague

-->

Comments

  1. I find myself always involved in heated discussions. This has made me wonder about the wrong side. I always feel that I am being rude or insensible. But when I cross check it with myself and few others, I find the ideas to be better. So my defence was to just keep quiet in any discussion. Hopefully it helps me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am no expert in behaviour. But keeping quiet is equivalent to suppressing ourselves. The better way is to give it a pause. Think for 5 seconds before speaking. Then you would have considered the plus and minus. :) It is slightly more difficult than keeping quiet.

      Delete
  2. What a insult ! hahahhaa !! I think, it was not that wise anyways !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) It may not be wise. But it is an interesting way.

      Delete
  3. Haha, He must read this. Or has he already?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not forwarded it to them. I swear. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment