The guilty employee


What did Paulo Coelho day? Or was it Shahrukh Khan in Om Shanthi Om? When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it. I just had a Paulo Coelho moment. Or was it a Shahrukh Khan moment? I need to stop. Right now, I think Shahrukh/Paulo are conspiring against getting my message across to you. Yesterday, I was fretting on work-life balance, and today, I am presented with a problem faced by a friend.

My friend is a hard worker and not a smart worker. As a result, he is overworked and stressed out. After 18 hours of work, he slept for 4 hours. When he woke up, he had another stressful day where he was in the vortex of a perfect storm created by the customer, the colleagues, and the family. So after going through the motions of the working day which again stretched beyond the regular 8 hours, he slept like a log.

If you are wondering where this post is leading, I beg you to allow me to entertain you for a few more minutes. I also agree there has been nothing new so far. But the revelation will come later. Hopefully! Where were we? 

My friend went to sleep. When he woke up, he noticed many missed calls on his phone. All these calls were from work, and these were calls to discuss emergencies and actions. He came to know by checking his emails and SMSs. Now, just picture this scene. My friend is awake at 6 am in the morning. He notices heavy breathing and irregular heartbeats. No, it is not a heart attack, but his stress levels are climbing. He also identifies a strange emotion engulfing him. He is feeling guilty.

Now, you have looked at the situation as an outsider. You do not know the person. I have done my best to explain the situation to you. Why should he feel guilty? Is he alone? Do we all get up with unwanted remorse? Is it healthy? Where is the end to this guilt?

Photo Courtesy: 

Comments