Pappettan on planning

If you are wondering who Pappettan is, click on this link and find out.

If you plan to fail, then you fail to plan. Said with an intense stare, carefully spaced words and strong emphasis on syllables, Pappettan confused me with this idiom. I have heard the idiom but in a different format. The idiom is "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail". Rewinding to the context, how can you photograph Holi without damaging your camera? The answer is simple. You can buy a protective cover for rain and dust in a camera store. But what will you do when the store is closed and you are not getting a cover in time for Holi?

That was the context in which Pappettan spoke the famous words while sitting cross legged on the wooden floor surrounded by two camera and three lenses. Pappettan came up with a simple and practical way to protect the camera with two plastic grocery bags, shoe laces and cello tape. He covered the camera with the grocery bags. You can put your hands inside the bag to click and control the lens. He cut a circle at the other end of the grocery bag for the lens to capture the image. He tied a shoelace over the lens and covered it with cello tape in such a way that will not hinder the movement of the lens while ensuring the plastic bag is tied to the camera.

When we took our cameras out, the first reaction from the crowd was "Wow, look at what they have done for water protection". When we started shooting, I overheard, "They are professionals!". So, remember the idiom. Even if you don't get the idiom correctly, it is okay. The keywords are plan and fail. Without a plan, you will fail.





Comments

  1. Good to see Pappettan again. And this is jugaad, Indian ishtyle :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is jugaad Pappettan style. ;)

      Delete
    2. I stand corrected. It IS jugaad Pappettan style ;-)

      Delete
  2. I was wondering how you managed to click the holi photos up close! Now I know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lens is very powerful. I can get an extreme close up. In this picture, I have used software editing to ensure you focus on the right things. :)

      Delete
  3. Wow.. Pappettan is back. I remember one of our instructor who used to say: where there is a way, there is a will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Now you know what to do if you don't get the rain cover for your camera.

      Delete
  5. lol. short and sweet. I like your writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its time Mr Pappetan paid some royalty to me. Then how do I know its not been attempted before? I rest my case, therfore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) My intent was to steal the thunder from you. It is more on letting everybody know the importance of planning. There is also another hidden message in the post. When there is a will, there is a way.

      Delete

Post a Comment