Marry v/s Manage

There might be a lot of management in a marriage. But is it possible to mistake the words "marry" and "manage"? I am not talking philosophy here. I am talking about a normal conversation. Apparently, you can. When it does, it also leads to a difficult situation. At least, that is what I found when I listened to two young things conversing with each other.

On a Saturday evening, I joined my French friend and his girlfriend along with my two Indian friends for a drink. The girlfriend in question likes me especially after I packed a whole lot of Biriyani for her, after a boys-only party at my place, in a goody bag. So both of them like to hang out with me. On this particular Saturday, the couple and three of us decided to hang out together. We were in the Montmartre district. When the watering hole was shutting down, the couple invited us to their place. Having been to their place before and aware about our combined decibel levels, I politely asked, "Will you guys be able to manage?". The us and the potential noise pollution was left open for interpretation. For this, my French young friend replied without hesitating, "Yes".

If you have guessed it, then you are smarter than I think you are. Yes, this is where the trouble started. She heard "marry" instead of "manage". She also heard the "yes". Her eyes widened. She pulled him aside and asked in excitedly, "So you will marry me?". The question was referring to an unspecified time in the future while pleading for a preview. My French friend smiled. The rest of us froze. There is no situation from which you can't talk your way out. My friend patiently explained she had heard it wrong. The situation was defused.

It was a difficult situation for him and embarrassing one for me. Unable to stand the intensity of the situation and haunted by the sudden hope in her eyes, I turned away and walked towards my friends. When I was near them, I blew an invisible sigh for which pat came the answer from one of them. "Tell your friend to say Yes. We were almost ready to jump in and say Yes!".




-->

Comments

  1. ha ha good one nonaji...and nice to c ya back..wishes always

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It has been long time since I saw you over here. :)

      Delete
  2. AH!Was it a case of wishful hearing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. yipes !! imagine his hearts condition when he realised he'd been cornered into a 'yes to marriage' situation too :)
    Good to see he got out of it unscathed !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, he was pretty cool about it. There were other situations when the marriage thing came up and he acted like a cool dude. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment