How do you react to bad news?


I fought with my mother a few weeks back. It has been some time since I engaged in a verbal bout with her. I am not sure if it shocks you. But for me, this phenomenon is natural. Usually, there is a pattern in the appearance. When we fought last time, we had broken all the records, regarding the delay between two consecutive incidents. There has been a significant delay. 

According to my mother, the reason for these quarrels is simple. I am short-tempered. While her explanation might be correct, I know that I can handle only a few problems at a time. If I have a lot of issues to solve, then I get nervous. As soon as I become nervous, I lose my cool. On this particular day, I reacted after hearing her tales of woes. On seeing my reaction, my mother asked. I am not asking you for help. I am only asking you to hear me out. You just want to hear good things and run away from the bad.

My mother has a point. I would like to believe that I don't run away from bad news. It may be an alternate reality. What I really fear is the negativity that is associated with bad things. I am unable to compartmentalize the negativity, and it leaves an after effect in systems. I might end up carrying this negative emotion around, eventually spewing them in the wrong place at the wrong time. You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. 

Here are some questions for you. How do you react to bad news? Would you like to delay hearing the bad news? How much of bad news can you take? What happens when you are served only bad news?

Photo Courtesy: Eric Minbiole

Comments

  1. Nice article, Nona. It is really commendable, the way you have been able to recognize your shortcoming and analyse the situation. If only everyone could be this honest with themselves. The world would be a much better place to live in. Kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments. It took me a long time to gather the courage to address the shortcomings. The journey wasn't easy.

      Delete

Post a Comment